Monday, September 29, 2008

ice cream man havoc and the end of summer.

this is how my most favorite summer of all began. i mean.. last summer was great and all, but this one was my favorite of all i think:
Kendrika was graduating. Kristina was about to marry Nathan. I had finished my first semester as a part-time student again... and Africa was in clear view.
it really was a notable summer. i traveled more in 2 months than i have probably all year. i got to see the landscapes of Malawi, my hometown of san jose, santa cruz... i snorkeled and cleaned the rivers in yosemite, had many dinners outside in my backyard with my sisters, and of course.. enjoyed the youthful bliss of disneyland and inflatable water slides.
and then this happened.. i mean, it's really not that bad, just definitely worth documentation considering.. ok.
so i'm at the end-of-the-summer "we love long beach" picnic yesterday, and everything was free (food/face painting.. other arts and craft type things) and there was this ice cream man truck there giving away free ice cream. so i obviously got excited about the possibility of enjoying a 50/50 (orange and cream) bar in the hot sun of long beach... to cap off a pretty perfect summer. and so i get my ice cream bar, unwrap it, go to take my first lick of it.. and what happens? my TOUNGE gets STUCK to it. i'm not exaggerating. so at first i'm like.. as cool as a cucumber (literally).. just trying to unstick my tongue and pretending like it's not that big of a deal. but then.. my lips also get stuck so now i'm starting to get nervous and think "oh shoot... this is worse than the tongue stuck to the pole scene in a christmas story." the panic sets in and i realize that this is serious business. i calmly walk over to keslie and tell her that my face is practially stuck to this popsicle (so dumb.. i know).. and she's like "well.. you what??" so i run over to the trash can and rip the thing out from my mouth (probably not the BEST idea).. and everything immediately goes numb.. and then starts bleeding. i mean WHO DOES THAT? i'm making it sound much more scary and traumatic than it actually was because it only took me about 20 minutes to recover.. once the bleeding stopped and i went to rite aid to buy neosporin. so anyways.. today it's like 150% better. i'm convinced that it's because (so i've been told) that the mouth is the fastest healing part of our bodies. but be warned.. do not get free ice cream from the ice cream man and then try and eat it without letting it thaw out for about oh.. 15 minutes. i found out afterwards from a few people that they actually kept the ice cream cold with dry ice. shouldn't that be illegal?

so i changed my mind about not being ready for the cold weather. well.. maybe i'm still not so ready for the cold weather.. so much as i'm ready for it to be fall again. there's something about waking up and being super cozy in my warm bed.. and then walking outside and wanting to put on boots and a big sweater and drink tea all day long. today was the first day i felt like that. i walked out of my room this morning and the air smelled crispy. and it was all foggy... and i kind of got excited. the past few days i have accidentally dressed for "cooler" weather.. only to travel miles away from home and realize day after day that i live in southern california and summer lasts through september.. if not october as well, and i am NOT dressed appropriately for the weather. i'm ready to bring out the coats and ever growing collection of boots. i'm ready to see the leaves turn red and wear warm knit caps everyday. maybe i'm ready to slip and slide in a few puddles (i'm very clumsy) or sink my feet into a mound of snow. this is a good season.

No comments: